For The Corn Tortillas
1/2 cup maize flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
a pinch of salt
For The Tortilla Filling
1/4 cup chopped capsicum
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves , finely chopped
1 green chilli , finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sweet corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped paneer
1/4 cup canned baked beans
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
2 tsp oil
salt and to taste
2 tbsp grated processed cheese
For The Mexican Tomato Sauce
1 kg tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped onions
1 green chilli , chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 pinches of sugar
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
For The Vegetable Stir-fry
1/2 cup zucchini , sliced
1/4 cup carrot , sliced
1/4 cup baby corn , sliced
1/4 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
1 tsp butter
salt to taste
For The Paprika Mashed Potatoes
1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
1 tbsp butter
1 to 2 tbsp milk or cream
1/2 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika) or chilli powder
salt to taste
For The Garnish
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
1/4 cup grated processed cheese
1/2 recipe guacamole
1 tbsp oil mixed with 1 tablespoon water
For the corn tortillas
- Combine both the flours and salt and knead into a soft dough using warm water.
- Allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll them into 4 chapatis approx. 150 mm. (6″) in diameter.
- Cook them on a griddle (tava) till both sides are lightly browned. Keep aside.
For the tortilla filling
- Heat the oil and sauté the capsicum, onions and garlic till the onions are translucent.
- Add the green chilli, tomatoes, corn, paneer, baked beans, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and add the spring onion greens. Add in the cheese and keep aside.
For the Mexican tomato sauce
- Put the tomatoes in hot water for 10 minutes. Peel the skin and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions for ½ minute. Add the green chilli and sauté again for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, oregano, sugar and salt. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes till it is thick. Keep aside.
For the vegetable stir-fry
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the vegetables.
- Add the salt and ¼ cup of water and allow the vegetables to soften till the water evaporates.
- Add the cumin powder and mix well.
For the paprika mashed potatoes
- Combine the milk, butter and salt in a pan and bring to a boil over a slow flame till the butter melts. Add this to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl till the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon into a piping bag and keep warm.
How to proceed
- Heat 2 sizzler plates over an open flame till they are red hot and place them on their respective wooden trays.
- Fill the warm tortillas with the filling mixture and roll them up to make frankie rolls. Keep aside.
- Place 2 rolls on a hot sizzler plate and surround them with the vegetable stir-fry.
- Pipe the paprika mashed potatoes on one side of the plate.
- Pour the mexican tomato sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle the spring onions and cheese on top. Serve topped with guacamole.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients on the other sizzler plate to make another sizzler.
- Pour the oil-water mixture over the cast iron plates for a sizzling effect.
- Serve immediately.